BNI Launch: PeaceLoveAndMomminess.com
Posted: 16 January 2009 05:15 AM   Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-11-21

We’ve just launched PeaceLoveAndMomminess.com, a nice little magazine site for moms & ladies with mom-type interests.

cart url: http://peaceloveandmomminess.com/shop_categories/

This was built using EE, with cart duties handled by FoxEE and Foxycart. Some of the font stuff is sIFR, there’s a little jQuery thrown in for good measure, and plenty of extensions & plugins abound. Anyway, my favorite part is the fact that my client really enjoys the site, enjoys working with the backend… the fact that we could offer her so much of what she wanted without having to sacrifice based on the system.

Oh, and note the commenting system that features “flair” buttons. ‘S kinda fun.

One note about FoxEE, on the negative side, and that is we had to hack the core to activate the addtocart_begin function which is in the code, but commented out. We had to add that back in because we needed to do some fancy stuff to the way the products behaved: detail rollovers, clickable color options, graphics for options rather than drop down boxes. The problem we had is that there wasn’t enough detail in the options themselves to target them easily using jQuery. We ended up outputting our own input code for each product:

<input id="color_choice_{entry_id}" name="color_choice" type="hidden" value=""

so that we could split off the last chunk, the entry_id, and then manipulate other elements on the page, and then manipulated other elements of the HTML as well. If FoxEE would output the unique sku of each product as something like id=“prodsku_123” then it’d be pretty easy to manipulate everything via JS, rather than having to make our own hacks. Or make the addtocart_begin function available for reals.

That nitpick aside, our client has enjoyed working with it just fine, and after I learned that the addtocart_begin function was available in the core already (just commented out) my life got a lot easier as well. I’ll use it again. There are some other things I’d like to see from FoxEE to make it easier for our clients to make changes, but for now I’ll just be happy with what I have.

Posted: 16 January 2009 01:04 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2008-04-21

Nice site Chris.

Not sure why you needed to hack the code in FoxEE cause each form that is created with the addtocart method names the form in this manner ...
name=“foxee_123”  where 123 is the entry_id.  Using jQuery you could have easily accessed any elements pertaining to a product.

Some example jQuery ..

jQuery('form[@name=="foxee_123"]').find('input'); 

The above would grab all elements for the product of entry_id 123.

In the next update the addtocart method will have the ability you are requesting.  In other words, you’ll be able to add any number of parameters to your products.  You’ll also be able to control whether the parameter goes into FoxEE cart or not, if it’s a hidden value, or is a custom field in the cart.

I’m glad your client likes it too.

Posted: 16 January 2009 04:15 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-11-21

That’s true, that works fine… but whatever I needed to do at the time, that wouldn’t cut it, so I had to go further. It’s been over a month, with holidays in between, so I don’t recall the specific details. At any rate, I don’t intend to disparage your product, I’ve been telling everybody and their brother to use it.

Posted: 16 January 2009 04:43 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2008-04-21

My guess is you wanted to add that field named color_choice and there was no way to do it with the addtocart method.  Like I said though, next release of FoxEE will let you add an arbitrary amount of fields to your addtocart form/link via the template parameters which I think you, as well as everyone else, will find really useful.  You will also be able to only output the beginning part of the form via a parameter you can set.

Thank you for spreading the word about FoxEE.

‹‹ kitsch online store      www.shirtfight.com ››

Join our Mailing List